History of the Westminster Memorial Hospital.
The Dowager Marchioness of Westminster gave the land for the Hospital in 1870 and the hospital was opened in 1874 in memory of her husband who owned many estates around Shaftesbury. Since then many updates and improvements bring us up to the present day. The first League of Friends was thought to have been formed in 1928, twenty years before the NHS. Our present League of Friends was formed in 1950 to support and represent the community it serves. This includes not just fund raising but reflecting the opinion and needs of the community and keeping that community informed of developments.
The Friends are a registered charity no. 281419 and are an elected group of volunteers who support and appreciate the role of the hospital and its importance in the local community. We are governed by our constitution which is registered with the Charity Commission. The Chairman is elected by the committee annually and the committee elected at the AGM.
It is impossible to list all the Friends' achievements but recent examples are:
The refurbishment of the Day Room and Activities Room, plus a two-bedded bay.
The replacement of the two hospital vehicles.
The provision of an Arts and Therapy programme.
The provision of equipment to support patients with dementia.